Wednesday, January 19, 2011

So Much Drive Time

Often times when you are the parent of a competitive gymnast you feel like you spend HOURS each week in the car just running back and forth to the gym.  Well, I guess feel this way and I am sure that I can't be the ONLY one, right?!?  Please Moms don't leave me hanging here!  I spent some time reflecting today on things that I do to make the car ride into productive time - NO Ladies, I'm not talking about making phone calls while in the car, sending emails on my phone or texting!
Talking Time
While I have my daughter in the car on the way to or home from practice, I often utilize the time to talk with her.  We talk about things that are going on at school or practice.  We also talk about things that she is looking forward to - a special shopping trip, a sleepover, an upcoming competition, etc.  I also take the time to tell her about things that have been weighing on my mind - her chores aren't getting done, her grades are slipping OR her grades are GREAT, I am proud of her for this or that accomplishment, etc.  It is a perfect time to have a captive audience, these are 20-25 minutes that she can't run away from me. 

Homework Time
Obviously I am not doing homework while I am driving, but sometimes when my daughter has a lot of homework at night and she needs to utilize every spare minute.  She will take her reading or spelling words in the car with her.  Often this is the difference between her being able to stay at practice the whole night and taking her out early to complete homework. 

Quiet Time
When was the last time that you had a few minutes of quiet time without kids hollering in your ear?  When you are on the way home or back to the gym without your child, you can just enjoy the peace and quiet, listen to what you want to on the radio, and/or just enjoy some time with your thoughts. 

Brainstorm
I have had some of my very best brainstorming sessions in the car by myself.  Whatever problems are weighing on your mind, whether they be personal, professional, or family-related, you can always use some extra time for a brainstorm.  Your mind can work a mile a minute when you are in the car with nothing pressing to think or talk about. 

CAUTION
I would like to leave you with one word of caution - whichever way you choose to utilize your time in the car, please drive safely.  It is important that you, your family, and your gymnast arrive at your destination!!

No comments:

Post a Comment